Kingston Technology releases data center NVMe SSD boot drive
Memory products and technology solutions provider Kingston Technology has announced the availability of a new data center SSD, the DC1000B M.2 NVMe boot drive.
The new drive is ideal for servers shipping with one or two M.2 NVMe slots dedicated for boot purposes and thus preserving valuable front-loading 2.5″ drive bays for additional data storage.
DC1000B is designed in a 2280 form factor that includes onboard power-loss protection and is engineered with 0.5DWPD endurance for extended service life.
Kingston's DC1000B has performance with speeds of up to 3.2GB/s and 205K IOPS and is designed for booting, as well as caching and logging applications.
“While the M.2 form factor was originally designed for client machines, it's small physical size and high performance make it attractive for server use,” says Kingston.
“DC1000B is purposefully built for the latest servers from both white box and Tier 1 server OEMs that utilize M.2 NVMe SSDs for boot purposes, as well as the ability to be configured as a local cache drive.
DC1000B is an M.2 (2280) NVMe SSD using the latest Gen 3.0 x 4 PCIe interface with 3D TLC NAND. DC1000B offers data centers a cost-effective boot drive solution with the reassurance they are purchasing an SSD designed for server use. Ideally suited for use in high-volume rack-mount servers as an internal boot drive(s) as well as purpose-built systems where a high-performance M.2 SSD is needed that includes on-board power-loss protection (PLP).
DC1000B is designed to deliver enterprise-level performance consistency and low-latency features typically not found on client SSDs.
DC1000B is available in 240GB and 480GB capacities and is backed by a limited five-year warranty and free technical support.
Data Center 1000B Enterprise SSD features - specifications
- M.2 (2280) NVMe Performance: Speeds of up to 3.2GB/s and 205K IOPS.
- Optimized Server Boot Drive: Enhanced for boot workloads as well as caching and logging applications.
- On-board (PLP) Power Loss Protection: Reduce the possibility of data loss and/or corruption on ungraceful power-off.
- Maximize drive bays: Move boot drives internally frees up front loading drive bays for additional data storage.
- Form Factor: M.2, 22mm x 80mm (2280)
- Interface: PCIe NVMe Gen 3 x 4
- Capacities1: 240GB, 480GB
- NAND: 3D TLC
- Self-encrypting drive (SED): AES 256-bit Encryption
- Sequential read/write:
- 240GB – 2,200MBs/290MBs
- 480GB – 3,200MBs/565MBs
- Steady-state 4k Read/Write2:
- 240GB – 111,000/12,000 IOPS
- 480GB – 205,000/20,000 IOPS
- Total bytes written (TBW)3:
- 240GB – 248TBW
- 480GB – 475TBW
- Latency read (Avg): 161µs
- Latency write (Avg): 75µs
- Power-Loss Protection (Power Caps): Yes
- Enterprise SMART tools: Reliability tracking, usage statistics, SSD life remaining, wear leveling, temperature
- 240GB — (0.5 DWPD/5yrs)4
- 480GB — (0.5 DWPD/5yrs)4
- Power Consumption:
- 240GB: Idle: 1.82W Average Read: 1.71W Average Write: 3.16W
Max Read: 1.81W Max Write: 3.56W
- 480GB: Idle: 1.90W Average Read: 1.74W Average Write: 4.88W
Max Read: 1.81W Max Write: 5.47W
- Storage temperature: -40°C ~ 85°C
- Operating temperature: 0°C ~ 70°C
- Dimensions: 80mm x 22mm x 3.8mm
- 240GB – 8g
- 480GB – 9g
- Vibration operating: 2.17G Peak (7–800Hz)
- Vibration non-operating: 20G Peak (10–2000Hz)
- MTBF: 2 million hours
- Warranty/support: Limited 5-year warranty with free technical support