Cyxtera expands data center colocation portfolio with new on-demand connectivity offerings
Cyxtera Technologies has released a new software-powered data center architecture that aims to bring on-demand provisioning to a broad range of colocation services.
Here's everything you need to know about the new platform:Cyxtera Extensible Data Center (CXD) Platform
Cyxtera Extensible Data Center (CXD) Platform combines a network and services provisioning engine with an intra-data center software-defined network fabric that allows colocation customers to provision services on demand or via a web console.
Customers can run distributed environments within and across data centers without dependency on contiguous floor space and can take advantage of any CXD-powered service from a single network cross-connect. Service and management connectivity is protected by Cyxtera’s AppGate SDP.
Key features of CXD include:
- Unified Services Port: enables access to multiple data center services over a single physical port
- Network Exchange: provides automated provisioning to select network service providers
- On-demand access to Cyxtera cybersecurity and threat analytics services
- High-availability, secure network fabric, backed by 99.999% availability SLA
In addition, the company also announced its initial CXD-powered solutions, including CXD Compute Nodes, an on-demand hyper-converged infrastructure (HCI) solution; and CXD IP Connect, redundant internet connectivity.
Customers would leverage these services to extend existing colocation environments within or across data centers.
Key benefits of CXD Compute Nodes include:
- Provisions and automates HCI at the speed associated with public cloud but with private cloud security and control
- Simplifies and optimizes capacity management
- Eliminates onsite data center staffing needs
- Enables rapid deployment of additional computing power
- Reduces management complexity and cost with automated lifecycle management
CXD IP Connect, a blended Internet bandwidth service, enables customers to provision connectivity aggregated from multiple IP service providers.
With fixed and burstable options and 24/7 monitoring, IP Connect also helps customers to respond quickly to changes in demand and accommodate for future growth.
President and general manager of Data Center Services for Cyxtera, Randy Rowland, comments: “We’re used to point-and-click provisioning for everything from virtual machines in the cloud to SaaS solutions, yet the data center industry still works with a screwdriver in one hand and a cable crimper in the other.”
“It can take months to deploy a single application, from provisioning circuits to building out infrastructure in a colocation cage.”
“CXD brings ‘speed of cloud’ power and provisioning to an entire range of data center services with an extensible software-powered architecture that will rapidly integrate Cyxtera-powered services and those of our network and service provider ecosystem.”